Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I heard the news today, Oh boy (Or girl!)

Well, how to begin. DH and I have been considering adoption ever since our infertility journey and especially after the rare and often fatal complication I had (amniotic fluid embolism) during our son's birth, that I chronicled in my upcoming memoir (A Journey To The Son, Two Harbors Press). I think I have always had a heart for adoption too.
I felt very drawn to the orphaned girls in China. Once my DH and I made the final decision to adopt (on our 10th anniversary almost a year ago) we started the process to adopt from China. But, by the time we started our process the wait time was standing at 3 1/2 years and possibly getting longer. We pulled out of China not too long afterwards, losing some money, but deciding that wasn't in the cards for us anymore. We heard about a domestic adoption agency (in another state)that usually places within the year and signed up with them last spring and have been playing the waiting game.
Then, a twist of fate. I heard of a situation of a pregnant teenager locally who decided today that adoption is the best way to go and would like to work directly with us! It feels weird to be excited when I know it is such a hard time for the birth mother. I spoke to an adoption attorney today who said how wonderful birth mother's are, because they make the biggest sacrifice and give the greatest gift. So true! She is due in March (on my birthday actually). We will see if this actually moves forward. Here's to the best possible outcome for everyone involved! Big hugs to her on a very brave decision!

11 comments:

yadda yadda said...

Wishing you nothing but the best and I hope it all works out!!! Keep us posted!

Xenia said...

Is it weird that I've never met you yet I got a little teary-eyed with excitement for you from reading this post?

I've never been sure if I really believe in fate or not, but this is MEANT TO BE. She's local and due on your birthday? That's definitely more than a coincidence. I can't wait to hear more!

Nanny Dee said...

Lauren, what wonderful news!

My daughter (20) and I watched the series on MTV called 16 and pregnant and one young couple gave their baby up for adoption after choosing the parents. What mature and special young people they were to want the best for the child and knew they couldn't provide it. The teenagers stayed in contact with the adopted parents like extended family; it was wonderful to see.

Here's to a similar positive experience for you!

mudmama said...

Thanks guys! I too believe that synchronicity is uncanny. I have heard how powerful that "16 and Pregnant" show is. This situation may not happen, but I trust that what is meant to be will happen!

MostlyFlumxdArt said...

I hope your are blessed with an adoption soon. What a blessing.

EcoMeg said...

Best wishes! Adoption is a wonderful thing!

Mamatoosi said...

That is awesome. I so hope everything works out! It's a beautiful thing on both ends, as hard as it must be for her.

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Wow, ou and I have almost identical stories here. I now have a son as well. Would love to talk about it sometime!

Anonymous said...

whatttt???? email me......
sio

Grizzly Bear said...

I wish you the best. I hope everything works out for you. What a wonderful selfless thing for the birth mother to do. Amazing :)

Grissell
stay-at-homemomwhoknew.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

incredible. i have love chills. sending so much love to all of you.

Post a Comment