Monday, October 26, 2009

Sloppy Jo Mama

Hey y'all!
Sunday night I wanted to go for a good mommy/wife/daughter/domestic Goddess moment. My dad was coming over, my husband was just getting back in town and my vision was to have everything together, house cleaned, fire in the fireplace, pumpkin soup simmering on the stove. But, single parenting for the day, I took Little Man to his soccer game, rushed to the grocery store to get all the necessary ingredients, stopped for an emergency potty break (his, people!) and by the time I got home it was time for everyone to get there. The house was not yet straightened, groceries still had to be put away and the dinner still needed to be cooked. Sigh! Ah well, we do the best we can!
But, I did try a fun new festive recipe I would like to share. Now, I generally prefer to feed him a bit healthier than this, whole grains, etc., but this was fun!
I got the recipe from a Pillsbury sponsored Halloween idea book in the dollar bin at Target. Corny Sloppy Joe Pizzas that look like Jack-O-Lanterns. All ya do is get some buttermilk bisquits (something I don't usually eat!) and flatten them into little rounds (like pizza shaped) and bake according to the instructions. In the meantime brown whatever you eat (the recipe calls for beef, but if you are a veggie or semi vegetarian you can opt for turkey or soy product) add corn and a can of Sloppy Joe sauce. Then, cut a slice of American cheese into a round and cut a face into it. Cut a little piece of green bell pepper to look like a stem. Spoon the meat or meatlike mixture onto the bisquit and put the cheese face on top, place your stem and, voila, a sloppy sensation! Sometimes a little messiness is okay!

5 comments:

Amo said...

That looks good and very cute! I wonder if my little picky eater would eat something similiar?

Liz Mays said...

That is the cutest!!!! I'll bet it tasted better for it too!

mudmama said...

You can pick it up and eat it like an open faced sammich ... not too bad!

yadda yadda said...

Very cute and it doesn't sound too hard!!! Will definately be trying that!

Tamara said...

How cute are these!?! Thanks for sharing, I've got to try them. :)
Glad I stumbled onto your blog, I'm going to grab your button and I'm following you now too.
http://www.homespunheartscandles.blogspot.com

Post a Comment