Friday, November 5, 2010

First field trip without hellicopter mom hovering ...

The central struggle of parenthood is to let our hopes for our children outweigh our fears.
-Ellen Goodman

Yesterday was Little Man's first field trip sans Mama. We both survived. I knew there was an extra set of eyes going along and the teachers are well versed in my little boys bolt-ability, so I felt confident that they would keep a good watch on him.
He saw Suessical the Musical and loved it. There were puppets in it he said, but he wasn't scared because he saw the people controlling the puppets. (He has a thing about costumed characters and puppets)
My friends joked on Facebook about how stalker-mommy was probably incogneto following the bus, going on stage disquised as a Suessical character just so I could keep an eye on him, etc. etc. It was starting to sound like a Lucille Ball sitcom episode! But, I did no such thing. I actually stayed away. This is progress! Letting go as a Mama is not easy, for me at least, but necessary. SIGH!

1 comment:

Lori E said...

I understand that. I went on every field trip my sons ever went on. Mostly it was because I was one of the only stay at home moms around at the time and they needed us.
It carried on into high school for one of them because the basketball team needed me and my 8 passenger van to get them to their games after school. Funny thing is some of their parents never seemed to be available on the weekends either.

Post a Comment