Saturday, October 31, 2009

Scary Halloween!


The day before Halloween, I had an appointment to get Little Man the coveted, hard to come by, H1N1 vaccine. That same day he woke up, after throwing up in the night, with a fever. It was a moderate fever though and he didn't throw up again all day so I wasn't too concerned. I was bummed to have to cancel the vaccination, though.
Halloween day he was still fevered. I called and they said to bring him in. Suspecting a virus, I was almost more afraid of bringing him in around the germs than I was of his bug, since he had been doing pretty good so far. So, my brilliant idea (ha)was to put him in his doctor shirt and let him wear the mask that goes with it into the waiting room. Appropriate for Halloween, but sheilding him from germs, and others from his germs, as well!
By the time we got to the doctors office though the little doctor was lying down in the waiting room. His temp (100.5 at home) had risen to 103 at the Dr's office. The doctor examined him and said "this may be the flu" (meaning THE flu). I couldn't believe it! For the eight minutes it took to get his test results I was pretty nervous. I was quite relieved when they came back normal. When I let out a "thank God!" the doc told me not to get too excited that they get a lot of false negatives. (When I asked him how accurate the test is he said it depends on whose hands it's in, but anywhere between 10-70% for negatives!) Oh well, what are you going to do? I will just watch him (like a hawk) and make sure that he progresses.
A little motrin brought the fever down and the boy was ready to rock-n-roll. Obviously we weren't going to take him out, but he did want to get into his Peter Pan costume. We stayed home and Grandbobby came over in his Cap'n Hook costume and we had a nice mellow visit. Finger's crossed this ickiness goes away as fast as it came on! But, I am glad he was able to rally enough to escape to Neverland for a brief minute! He woke up this morning (Sunday Nov 1) with no fever. Fingers crossed that the sickness goes away with the pixie dust!

12 comments:

Mandee said...

You all look so cute in your costumes! :)

How sad he looks laying there in his doctor's costume on the bench. Poor guy! It was a good idea to put him in the costume though. My son had to put a mask on as soon as we got to the hospital. He did NOT like it. We have been dealing with the fever for 4 days now! I sure hope your family and mine both recover quickly!

Xenia said...

Oh, poor guy! No one wants to be sick for Halloween!

I've been hearing a lot about the false negatives of the flu test... which makes me wonder if they couldn't come out with a little more reliable way to go about it. What good is the test if it doesn't give you real results?

Hopefully things keep getting better and at least you have those great pictures of everyone together in your costumes - the Peter Pan theme is adorable!

yonca said...

I 'm glad he is feeling better today. What a clever idea to put him in costume. Hugs to you both!

Molly said...

poor kid, of course it had to happen on Halloween! Hope he's better soon, and the rest of you avoid it!

mudmama said...

Definitely seemed better today, thanks guys!

mudmama said...

ps) I guess the positive swine flu tests are very reliable, but not the negative ones. :/

Helene said...

What a bummer...I hope he's feeling better now. We just went through a bout of high fevers over here too...hopefully your son will bounce back as quickly as mine did!!

Thank you for stopping by my blog! How exciting that you have a published book!!! I've been working on a memoir for what seems like an eternity...such a huge process, isn't it??

Clueless_Mama said...

That was such a sad picture of him in his Dr. mask. I am so glad to see it looks like he chippered up and got to have some fun with mom and dad. Hope he is all better. :)

Andrea said...

I can totally feel you on this one. I was wishing for a mask for when we went to the ped's office, too!!! Thanks for coming by and following me. I look forward to learning more about you when I'm well and can truly READ stuff with focus. :)

Lisa said...

Ugh, that swine flu is going AROUND. Hope he's feeling better by now! Thanks for the sweet comment over at my place. :-)

Stephanie said...

love the costumes!!! Glad your son's fever reduced so he could dress up :) Hope everyone is feeling better and staying healthy! Take care.

Unknown said...

We were told the same thing about the false negatives. So why even bother testing?!? Frustrating.
I hope your boy is all better now!

Lisa @
All That and a Box of Rocks

Post a Comment